Learn the basics of the internet Here are some of the basic things that
you need to know about the internet.
Some of the browsers that are available There are several good browsers available. Here's a
description of each of them.
- History Of Browsers The first real web browser was Mosaic and it was released in 1993.
Netscape soon followed, and Internet Explorer came even later.
- Browser Helper Objects Is your system crashing? Perhaps you've unknowingly done what I did -
added a Browser Helper Object.
- Browser Parameters Your browser actually informs the HTML page and web server quite a bit of
information. Here is some of it.
Chatting Chatting is a great way to socialize on the web.
- Instant Messaging There has been a lot of talk about instant messaging. Why does
anyone really care?
Disaster Recovery If you manage a computer facility, then you must understand there will be
disasters. Be ready for them.
- Laying The Groundwork Before you can do anything to prepare for a disaster, it's a
good idea to look around, see what's there and collect your thoughts.
- Convincing The Boss Before you can do anything to prepare for a disaster, it's a good
idea to look around, see what's there and collect your thoughts.
- Getting Started You begin a disaster recovery project with analysis, design and a
lot of help.
- A Case Study Our first attempt at creating a disaster site was a disaster. We then
redid the whole project. This time, however, we learned from our mistakes and did it correctly.
- Checklist for Disaster Recovery There are many things you need to think about BEFORE a
disaster occurs to make it possible to recover quickly if the worst happens.
- Examples Want some examples of disaster recovery scenarios? Here they are.
- Types of Disaster Recovery There are levels of disaster recovery: from nothing at all, to
backups to a fully ready hot site.
- How To Protect Your Power I learned the hard way that it's important to give your
computer clean, steady power.
FTP You can use FTP to copy files to and from your web site. It's a good, efficient tool.
- FTP Commands This is a list of some of the FTP commands which are available from the command
- Anonymous FTP Need to find some files to download from the web? Chances are you will find
them on an FTP site.
- FTP- How Does It Work? Here is how FTP works and why it's more efficient than web browsing
for large file transfers.
Graphics Graphics is very important, generally not very well understood, and often the mot
difficult part of creating a web site.
- Clipart There are many places on the web to get great clipart, and there are many
packages available to service every desire and need.
- Colors Your colors are important, and it's critical to know how the different browsers
- Fonts Fonts are important. A good choice of fonts makes your web site look great, and a bad
choice makes it unusable.
- What About Fonts? There are several things to know about fonts in order to use them
correctly: fixed vs variable, serif or sans-serif, and kerning.
- Graphics Formats Use your intelligence to choose the correct graphics format for your web
pages. You can use GIF, JPEG or the up-and-coming PNG formats.
- Graphics Formats - BMP The BMP format is the most basic graphics format. It is also the
- Graphics Formats - GIF The GIF format is an excellent format for many types of graphics.
- Graphics Formats - Animated GIFs Use animated GIFs to create moving images on your
web site. Just remember not to overdo it.
- Graphics Formats - JPG JPG is best for images with gradients, blends and inconsistent color
variants. It is very efficient but parts of the image are lost by the compression scheme.
- Graphics Formats - PNG The PNG format is a newer, better format than GIF. It may soon be
the dominant format on the internet.
- Paint Shop Pro Paint Shop Pro is a great graphics editor.
- Paint Shop Pro Picture Tubes Paint Shop Pro has the ability to use a cool
feature called Picture Tubes. This makes creating unique graphics incredibly simple.
- Graphics Optimization Graphics optimization is an important part of creating and
maintaining your web site. You can increase the odds that your visitors don't hit the back key by reducing load times.
- Graphics Plug-Ins There are many plug-ins available which will make your pages look
great, but may annoy your visitors.
Homepages You should consider creating a home page. It's fun, simple and rewarding in
many ways. You can create a personal site about your hobbies, books, religion, photo album or whatever else you want.
- Web Host Tips Looking for a hosting company? Here are some tips to help you out.
- Choosing A Web Host Are you trying to find a good web host? Here are some
helpful hints to make it go a little better.
- Backup Your Site Maintaining a web site? You'd better make a backup if you
haven't already. You never know what could happen to your host or your hosts computers.
- Empower Your Site- Pay Your Host Put your site on a free host and you are just a
small fish in a large tank. Put it on a paid host and you start to become a professional.
- What Makes For A Good Host? Looking for a web host? Here are some attributes that you
should be looking for.
- Moving to a New Host I have now changed hosts three times. This article lists some
of the issues that I had to address.
- Web Host Ethics In these days of impending recession and failed dot coms, it is
a good idea for web hosting companies to understand who their customers are, and to treat them right.
- Some Advice On Bandwidth How much bandwidth is enough? My advice is to purchase as
much as you can afford.
- Dedicated Servers Is your site getting a huge amount of traffic? Do you need lots of
disk space? Hosting a bizillion sites? Then perhaps you need a dedicated server.
- Set Up Your Own Newsfeed Want to set up an automatic newsfeed from your site to
hundreds (or even thousands) of others? Here's how you do it.
Multimedia You have lots of multimedia choices available, including video, sound,
powerpoint and graphics.
- How to include Multimedia Files This is how you include a multimedia file in your
- Here's how to do sound in an HTML document Want to know how to add sound to your
document? Here are some tips.
- Using Sound In A Web Site Want to include sound on your web site? Here are
some good ideas.
- MIDI files MIDI files are a great way to add sound to your web pages.
- WAV Files WAV files allow you to quickly create sound files and add them to your web
- Real audio Real audio allows you to create very highly compressed sound files.
- Background Sound You can put background sound in your website, but think twice
about it as it can chase away visitors fast.
- Here's an overview of video Want to add video? Here's how.
- AVI Video format
- MPEG video format
- Quicktime Video format The Quicktime video format is produced by Apple, works on
Windows and Macintosh platforms and has a very clean and easy install.
- Real video format The Real audio/video format is very popular and produces extremely
compressed video (and sound). However, it does require a very commercial plugin.
- Video Codecs A major issue with uncompressed audio and video files is they take up
huge amounts of space. In fact, uncompressed multimedia files are generally much too large for most systems and for most
Newsgroups Newsgroups are a great way to communicate with a large group about various
- Newsgroup Browsers There are several browsers available with a very wide variety of
features. Choose the one that's best for you.
- Newsgroups - Cancelbots When a newsgroup administrator wants to delete a spam or
flame newsgroup posting, he will send out a cancelbot.
- Newsgroup Prefixes The names of the newsgroups explained
- Newsgroup Security It's important to protect yourself properly when posting to
newsgroups or you could get burned.
- Messages are tracked when posted Reading from newsgroups is generally untraceable, but
your posts to newsgroups can and are tracked.
- Newsgroups - Crossposting It's great to be a subscriber to many different
newsgroups, but watch the multi-posts and crossposts.
- Newsgroups - Quoting It's a good idea to include a few lines of test from the message
to which you are replying. It's not a good idea to include hundreds of lines. Trim it down and your readers will thank you.
- Newsgroups - Servers Okay, so where can you get access to newsgroups? Your ISP is a
good place to start, and if that fails, try one of the paid services.
- Newsgroups - Replies Believe it or not, there is a right way to reply to a newsgroup
and a wrong way.
Surfing the web Everything you need to know to have a great time surfing the net.
- Buying on the internet Be careful when you purchase on the internet. There are many scams
and people who want to harm you.
- Purchasing on the internet Shopping on the internet? Use safe shopping practices or
take the risk of losing money.
- Ecards Ecards are free, and they are an excellent way to send a greeting to a friend or a
- Being Part Of Groups Do you like to socialize? Then join and contribute to an internet
- Let the webmaster know what you think of his site Remember that the internet is all
about communication, so communicate. One good way to do so is by signing signing guestbooks. This way you let the webmaster know
what you think of his site.
- Choosing an ISP Picking a good ISP is critical for having a good time on the web.
- Password Safety If you are like most people, you haven't thought much about password
safety. Well, perhaps you should.
- Portals Portals are a great way to get to a lot of different sites on the web.
- The internet is a great research tool The internet is probably the greatest invention for
research that has ever existed.
- Finding Out What You've Been Up To Your computer system keeps lots of records
about what you've been doing. This article tells you where a lot of it is stored.
- Medical Resources A couple of years ago I became desperate for medical
information on the web. Here are some sites that I found which helped ...
- Where to find an answer Where do you find the answers you need? Here are some
- Start Pages Setting up a good start page is a great way to improve your surfing
- Statistics How can you find out about he internet in general? Here are some of the
tools you will need.
- Truste If you want to be sure that your privacy is not being invaded by a web site, make
sure they have the TrustE logo showing.
- File Formats on the web Here is a table with a list of many of the common file formats
and how you can handle them on your pc. Formats include 'au, aiff, bin, cda, doc, exe, gif, gz, hqx, jpg, jpeg, mid, midi, mim,
mpg, mpeg, qt, mov, movie, pdf, ps, rar, sit, sea, tar, tiff, text, txt, uu, uue, wav, z and zip'.
- Webcams This weekend I installed a webcam. It was an interesting experience but worth the
- Is surfing the internet safe at work? If you are like most people, you use the internet at
work for personal reasons. Perhaps you should think twice about that.
All the data you need to know about setting up for the internet There are many things that
you can do to your computer system to improve your surfing experience.
- Accessing the Internet - DSL, Cable Modem or dialup You need a way to get to the internet,
and if you are lucky you have some choices: DSL, cable or dialup.
- Backing Up Your stuff - Part 1 Backup may seem to be a pain, but it's one of the most
important things that you can do to protect your system.
- There are many different file formats on the web There are hundreds of different file
formats on the web. You'll need to be able to convert now and then and here's how you do it.
- Laptop systems Picking the right laptop is very important. These things can be very tricky
so spend a little more to get a good one.
- You can improve your computers internet performance There are lots of things that you can do
to improve your systems internet performance.
- Hidden Files On Windows Windows hides some files from view. This is not for any evil
purposes, it's simply an attempt to make your computer faster and more useful.
- DSL If you can get it, DSL is probably one of your best choices to speed your internet access.
- Review of PacBell DSL Pacific Bell DSL (now called SBC) is generally fairly stable.
Most problems seem to revolve around installation.
- You can modify the registry on Windows to improve your system You can modify files in the
registry to make your system perform better, be more reliable or to turn on (or off) special features. Be careful though, this
can damage your system!
- Operating system There are several operating systems to choose from.
- Changing Internet Explorer Browser Agent Want to modify the user agent field
of Internet Explorer? Here's how you do it.
- Your computer and fonts Need some data about how to use fonts? Here are some answers.
- Does Anyone Know What Time It Is? A ten dollar Power Puff Girls watch keeps better time than
your personal computer. Here's how to solve that problem.
- Windows XP Microsoft has a new operating system for the desktop. It's called Windows XP,
and it's a fine example of what an operating system should be.
- Setting up DNS in Windows XP Setting up DNS in Windows XP can be simple or
complicated, depending upon which options you choose.
- Improving Performance By default, Windows Xp is very pretty, but it's also a fat
pig. You can speed it up with a few simple changes.
- Control Your Power
- Telnet Some web hosts will give you Telnet access to your account. This is a very powerful
way to be able to change and check out your web site.
- Cron If you have telnet access to your site, you can use CRONTAB to schedule jobs.
Unless otherwise noted, all photos and text is Copyright © Richard G Lowe, Jr.